Saturday, August 28, 2010

Red Velvet Birthday Cake

When Sam Sam told me that she wanted a Red Velvet birthday cake I was happily surprised. I thought for sure she’d say chocolate, which don’t get me wrong, I heart chocolate cake, but it just seems like I make them all the time. Red Velvet, now there’s something new and exciting. My husband asked me, “What exactly is Red Velvet?” I told him it was cocoa flavor. Then he said, matter of fact, “So chocolate then.” I responded with an incredulous, “No. Not chocolate. Cocoa.” We went back and forth on the matter until I acquiesced and said, “I suppose maybe a subtle taste of chocolate.” For goodness sakes--it’s Red Velvet. It taste like Red Velvet. BLARGH!!!

I’ve never made a Red Velvet anything and I had no clue where to start and had to turn to my favorite food blogs for guidance. I found a delectable Red Velvet Cream Cheese Cupcake over at Lick The Bowl Good and decided it was too grown-up for a seven year old. At First Look Then Cook I found a Red Velvet Cupcake recipe which was exactly what I was looking for. The recipe says to bake for 20 minutes but the cake took 40 minutes. Other than that, I followed the recipe to the letter. For recipe, go {here}.

I feel like I went against my own rule by using a popular toy for the theme but it's my own darn fault. I wanted to do a skateboard cake and honestly just didn't know how to do it. The cake ended up looking like a wedding cake with the three layers, white frosting and white piping and I needed something to make it look age appropriate. This morning, a few hours before the party, I asked Sammy to bring me a few of her Littlest Pet Shop toys to create the skateboard theme. I think it turned out pretty well considering it was done in a pinch.

1 comment:

  1. What a gorgeous cake Maya. I hope Sammy had the best birthday.

    ReplyDelete