Monday, August 3, 2009

Hike at Discovery Park

Yesterday we went on a nice hike through Discovery Park. After hiking a little more than half way through the winding trail we stopped for lunch. I made this sandwich which travels so well. It's French bread with a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar and a layer of goat cheese. To that I added smoked turkey, fresh arugula and tomato. I wrapped the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap and placed it at the bottom of the picnic basket/tote. I then piled everything else on top of it so while we were hiking the sandwich got mushed together and all the flavors really had time to soak into the bread. It really was tasty and not too filling.

Here are the brownies I made the night before. They came out great. I wish I had cut the pieces much larger. The girls used the brownie power to get them through the rest of the hike. It really did make them go faster.

Jon took the girls past the barrier to get a better look at the view. Then I noticed the sign. . .

We had a blast. Oh, and nobody fell over the cliff thank goodness.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE Discovery Park - I think it's my new favorite place in Seattle :) I went there w/ my dad and sister in mid-July. We drove down to the water since my dad can't walk far, but we had a blast. I can't wait to see the renovated lighthouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Discovery Park too. I can't decide if it or Seward Park is the crown jewel of Seattle's park system.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in the Seward Park area and went to the parks there all the time. In fact, my parents still take their daily walks around the loop.

    When we were kids, my dad used to drive-up to the stage, park the car and say, "Okay, let's see who can get to the stage first." My brothers and I would climb out of the car shoving each other out of the way in order to get a leg up in the race. Later when we were adults, well into our 20s, my dad took us back to the stage, parked the car and said, "Okay, let's see who can to the stage first." Sadly, we didn't do it. We simply walked down the hill, completely bored out of our minds and weren't afraid to show it. I think my mom was most disappointed in us for not allowing my dad the pleasure to see his kids, simply be kids again. In retrospect, I wish I had ran with all my might down that hill. I think it would have made for a much better memory for me and my family.

    ReplyDelete