Friday, November 20, 2009

Getting Things Done. . . Slowly



It's been far too long since my last post which probably means I haven't done much lately, or I've been flat out tired. I've been fighting a smidget of a cold for the past month which leaves me feeling like an empty shell. {I've got no oomf in me} Earlier today my youngest asked me, "Mommy, how come you're never tired?" Now just because I still answer to every single beck and call and wait on my children hand and foot doesn't mean I'm not tired. If I could put a name to it, I'd say I've been down right catatonic.

Even though I've not felt myself, I'm still trying to do good by my children. Between the screaming and heavy sighs, I take a break, give in, and just go with the flow. Is acquiescing good parenting?

For starters: homework. I'm thankful for every lick of homework that Sammy brings home. It gives me a glimpse of the curriculum and also allows me an opportunity to work with her on something that she needs to get done. Homework time is just as much my time as it is hers. To help her out a bit, since she often says, "What do I do when I run out of fingers?" I got her this handsome abacus for $10 at Ikea. I love it. I think I'll keep it long after it is no longer needed. Soon when my children are older, and calculators have fallen out of technological fashion, my kids will be computing quadratic equations using hologram, hand touch computer image devices -- I'll still be rock'n the abacus just because I think it looks cool.
  
I also added this very large number line above the chalkboard so that Sammy had another tool to help out. In first grade, number lines are all the rage.

So, even though I've been totally wiped out, I'm still getting things done -- slowly.

As well, I've got a huge party {or par-tay as some might say} planned for tomorrow evening where I hope to mingle with loads of friends, eat appetizers, drink wine and best of all, eat birthday cake. I can't wait. I'm sure my energy level will perk up by then. I've already prepped appetizer platters, bought party supplies, decorated the house and so much more. Well, I guess I have gotten a lot done despite my poor health. I'm convinced however that if I were feeling more like myself, I would have gotten it done a lot faster.

Have a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. When I get that way, Maya, I always have to remind myself it's not a race. That said, there's no better way to break out of a funk than to have company.

    It's so cool you're teaching the girls to use an abacus. There is nothing better for making sure they really understand what they're doing in math.

    ReplyDelete