Monday, September 13, 2010

Molasses Cookies

I’m a big fan of Comcast’s free On Demand movies and TV shows. When I need to catch-up on past episodes I can usually find them there. Whenever I’ve run through my yoga poses, I can always find new poses on one of the free exercise channels. The other night I went to On Demand’s Home and Garden channel and discovered that Martha Stewart is currently offering over 20+ cookie recipes. I’m not a huge fan of the Martha Stewart Living television show, but I do like getting the step-by-step video instructions for one cookie recipe at a time. Each video is only about 10 minutes long. I sat there with pen and paper in hand writing down each ingredient along with the measurements. I watched how she whisked and stirred and scooped out the cookie batter from the bowl and then I was set to make my own batch. Only I learned a little too late that you don’t actually have to sit there writing down each step and ingredient, you can just go to Martha’s website to get the recipe. Duh.


Molasses Cookies
Recipe from Martha Stewart Living
Ingredients:


1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
1/2 cup shortening, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
3/4 cup rolled oats

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with Silpats or parchment paper.

Sift together flour, 1 cup of the sugar, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and ground clove into a large mixing bowl.

Add the shortening, egg, and molasses. Mix until smooth. Add oatmeal and stir until just incorporated.

Using a 1-ounce ice cream scoop, scoop batter onto baking sheets, about 3 inches apart. In a small bowl, place 1/4 cup sugar. Dip the bottom of a glass in sugar and press down on each scoop of dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick, dipping the glass in sugar between each one. For your first dip, you may want to press the bottom of the glass onto a cookie. The moisture from the cookie will allow the sugar to stick to the glass.

Bake until brown and crisp, about 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.


Also, don’t let Alex press down on your cookies because she will flatten them like a pancake. She's putting all of her strength into this including the grunt face. I don't think the cookies are supposed to come out as flat as mine did.

In other news . . .

Alex, all by herself, unloaded the dishes {plastic dishes} from the dishwasher and put away the silverware. I took care of the extra sharp knives and breakable stuff. She’s such a big girl now. We've had talks about doing chores around the house and the dishwasher job seemed just the right size for her.


I'm glad I didn't let her put away the glasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment