Friday, September 24, 2010

Old Dryer, New Dryer

Our dryer bit the dust yesterday. Poor thing had been clunking along for years and finally decided it just couldn’t dry another load. You can imagine how frightened Jon and I were when we first smelled smoke. We didn’t see smoke, only smelled it which is alarming to say the least. We sniffed high and low until finally we ended our search at the dryer where a load of laundry sat damp. Blargh! I think the motor just burned out and now Old Bessie doesn’t even make a peep. No clunking, no wheezing, just plain silence. I should have known this was coming. For over a year now I’ve been running the dryer twice just to dry one load of laundry. It’s a Maytag so I thought it would heal itself. Not so much I’m afraid. It’s definitely a goner. 

Last night, after determining the dryer wasn’t worth repairing, we went to Home Depot to buy {for the first time in our lives} a new washer and dryer. Even though it was just the dryer that quit, we figured it would only be a matter of time before the washing machine clunked its last breath too.

I don’t know about you, but whenever I walk in to the large appliance department, a strong desire to spend cold hard cash comes over me. I usual enter large appliances with my Gomer Pyle face, saying things like, "Gaawly that's pretty. What would happen if I press this button?" I carry-on like it's my first time laying eyes on modern appliances. Jon, on the other hand, walks in with a determined look checking each price tag and offer to make sure we'd be making a sensible decision. Granted if it were up to me, we’d probably be living on the street with nothing more than a brand new LG, fire engine red, side-by-side washer and dryer to call home. So in all fairness, my husband does a good job making the right decisions and usually in the end, I have a roof over my head and I’m happy.

The girls happily opened every oven, refrigerator and dishwasher door without bothering to close them gently. That’s the trouble with all those fancy doors, they’re just begging for you to open them and them slam them shut.

Want to see what we purchased? 


Maytag! Sensible, reliable, humble and conservatively white. Aren’t they be-u-ti-ful? They’re coming this week and I can’t wait. In the meantime, I’ll be at the Laundromat drying my clothes. "Gaawly, what does Affresh mean?"

No comments:

Post a Comment