Sunday, October 3, 2010

Monster Cookies

Goodness, is it October already? Why just a couple of weeks ago the girls started back to school and yet here we are, already at the top of the calendar – October. This month I hope to have plenty of happy, ghoulish projects to share with you. . . that is, if I can find the time and energy to do it all. If today is any indication of how the month will be, then I'm off to a good start.
Today I baked Monster Cookies!! Don’t you just love the name? And how appropriate for October don’t you think? These cookies are loaded with chocolate chips, walnuts, peanut butter and much more which is why I suppose they’re called, Monster Cookies – they contain everything. Plus, this recipe yields plenty enough for my family, and several other families to boot. Do you see all those cookies in the image above? That’s one batch, so be sure to start with an extra large mixing bowl and a heavy duty spatula.

This recipe came to me from my friend L. Reed on Tuesday, June 13, 2006. The email read, “A lady in my office made these cookies – to die for yummy!!!!!” I printed the email and then filed it away in my recipe binder under the dessert tab where it’s been sitting for all these years. I've always wanted to make these cookies, since the very day I received the email and for some reason I never did until today.

These cookies are hearty and crunch when you bite into them. With every bite there's an explosion of chocolate or nuts or candy or just the rich caramel flavor of brown sugar and butter. The oatmeal is crisp which gives the cookie an almost granola like texture and makes the cookie seem less sinful than it really is.  

Here’s the recipe as it appeared in the email.

Monster Cookies
Recipe from: L. Reed
Ingredients

6 eggs
1 pound brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups sugar
4 tsp baking soda
1/2 pound butter
1 1/2 pounds peanut butter (either style)
9 cups oatmeal (regular, not instant)
1/2 pound chocolate chips
1/2 pound M&M’s
1/4 cup chopped nuts

Combine all ingredients. Use a ice cream scoop to form balls of dough, then gently flatten dough on cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Makes 8 dozen cookies!

1 comment: