Thursday, December 30, 2010

Butternut Squash Risotto

I really wish I could keep my tree all year round. I just love the twinkling, white lights and the ornaments. The tree makes the house feel cozy during these frigid, dark days and it's so easy on the eyes too. I've gotten used to seeing it each morning when I round the corner to go to the kitchen. Soon though, it will have to go. In a day or so, we'll strip the tree of all ornaments and lights, and then Jon will man handle it out to the curb where it will be hauled away by Boy Scouts. It sounds so sad. Would I really want the tree up all year? Probably not, because then what would I have to look forward to next year. Yes, eventually the tree will have to go. Take my advice, just like a pig on a farm, don't give it a name, because if you do, you'll grow too attached and then be heartbroken when you find out that Wilbur is resting beside your plate of scrambled eggs at breakfast. No, I didn't name my tree. It's just plain tree to me. No strings attached. It has served its purpose. Now it is time for it to retire to that great big, tree slaughter house in the sky. Ugh!! I think I'm going to be sick...

...let's talk about something that doesn't involve slaughtering, shall we?
Tonight I made Butternut Squash Risotto. Have you ever shopped for arborio rice before? Well if you haven't, know that it is crazy expensive. When I saw the price, I clutched my heart, staggered a bit and said, "Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you... me and a box of aborio rice!"

What you'll need:
Ingredients: 2 cups 1/2 inch diced Butternut Squash; 2 tablespoons olive oil; 1 tablespoon thyme leaves; 4 cups chicken stock; 5 tablespoons unsalted butter; 1 cup diced yellow onion; 2 cups Arborio rice; 1/4 cup dry white wine (or whatever you feel like drinking the rest of from a new bottle); 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Before you begin, bring 4 cups chicken stock and 4 cups of water to a boil and then let simmer. 
Coat butternut squash in olive oil and season with salt, pepper and thyme. Roast at 425 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.

Saute diced onion in butter until translucent, about 8 minutes.

Add in half of the roasted butternut squash and rice.

Stir the mixture and then add the white wine. Once the wine is fully absorbed into the rice, start adding the broth/water mixture 1 cup at a time. Stir continuously. Once the liquid is fully absorbed, add 1 more cup of the broth/water mixture. Continue to stir and only add in the liquid when the water is completely absorbed. Keep this process going until the rice is cooked to just barely an al dente texture. It shouldn't be runny and it shouldn't be too dry.

I wasn't hungry when I started this process but after over 20 minutes of stirring, I was. Making risotto is hard work, but well worth the effort. 

When the risotto is done, add the remainder of the butternut squash and half of the Parmesan cheese. Mix together, serve hot. Garnish with more cheese.

This is comfort food at its best. The kids didn't much care for it, but the adults loved it! 

For more details about this recipe, please click {here}. 

I thought my last post would be it for this year, but now THIS is my last post of 2010!! So, once again, Happy New Year!!

2 comments:

  1. I am so excited to make this for dinner tonight. Love all the recipes you keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrea, please tell me how yours comes out. My husband loved it and he normally doesn't like anything that isn't either a pizza or a burrito.

    ReplyDelete