Monday, January 3, 2011

The Future Is Here

Yesterday I went to visit my grandpa. I haven't seen him in several months and I couldn't wait to give him a gentle kiss on the top of his head. Grandpa's hearing isn't what it used to be so it's not unusual to find me shouting in his ear. To start off our conversation, I said very loudly, "Grandpa, it's 2011?" He smiled and said, "Yes." I went on, "Can you believe it... when were you born?" Grandpa thought for a bit, scratched his head and then answered, "1918."

I don't know what Grandpa would have thought about our trip to the visitor center at Microsoft. If I were to guess, I think he would have been highly impressed. Grandpa is no stranger to technology, why up until a few years ago he was typing away on his computer, recording baseball games on his VCR and channel surfing on his satellite TV.

As for myself. I've fallen behind the times. I've never downloaded music, and up until only a few months ago I started accessing the world wide web with my new phone... I've gotten a few apps too. Fancy that. 

My children are fascinated with technology and can't wait to get their hands on all the buttons. Me? I run away or I run to my husband for assistance. I always said I'd be one step ahead of my children and now I'm finding out that they are very close to surpassing me where technology is concerned. I can learn a lot from Grandpa. He never turned his nose up to technology but rather embraced it.

My friends and family are reading books on the Kindle and/or Nook, communicating on Skype, and creating Avatars of themselves for when they play video games. It's all moving a little too fast for me. 2011 sounds so futuristic and yet, here it is.

We spent a good long time at the visitor center before we drove off into the sunset. In my defense, I did capture these images using my Windows 7 phone. Not too bad for a Luddite like myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment