Monday, December 6, 2010

Our Infirmary

Welcome to our infirmary.

This morning, Alex awoke with a terrible cough accompanied by agonizing congestion. She sobbed and then snuggled up to me and all I could hear was the faint sound of wind in her air pipes as she breathed with her mouth open in the shape of an O. I couldn’t send her to school in this condition. Today would have to be a day of rest and relaxation with a cartoon or two to break up the monotony of it all. All remained quiet while I worked away at my computer sometimes I’d pause, tilt my head, and listen to hear if there were whooping type sounds coming from the bedroom where Alex sat completely engulfed by the light emanating from the TV screen. 

Then, after I settled into the routine of work, then a quick check on Alex, then work again, the telephone rang... it was the school nurse. Turns out Sammy was sick too. I packed up Alex, still snug in her jammy jams, and hauled arse to school to retrieve child #1. Sammy had a sore throat and slightly swollen lymph nodes which was reason enough to call it a day and retreat back to home base. The infirmary was full and quiet until.....

Sammy decided it was time to run a marathon. What the what?!
 
 
Alex still horse and whooping coughing, sounding more like Bea Arthur than a 4-year old little girl, said, “Yeah, let’s run a marathon!!!” They taped homemade bibs to their chests and you'd thought someone had shot a starting pistol the way they took off. 

I thought these kids were sick?

And did you see what they did to the family room? Toys everywhere.
Yes, that's Honey Child seated beside Alex. She feigned being sick and I almost didn't believe her until I noticed she was running a temperature. I tried to hold a little cold compress on her forehead but that proved to be too tricky so instead I taped a tiny cloth to her head.

I warned the girls that once Honey Child was well she'd have to get back on her horse and leave this place for good. Sammy colored a red cross on Honey Child's makeshift towel as if that would make me soften a little. No chance. Once she's well, it'll be time for her to pack her bags and move on.

Normally at this time of night I'd be sprawled out in front of the TV and instead I'm upstairs listening to Alex sleep. She's breathing irregularly and the whooping cough doesn't sound like it's letting up. By morning, if she's still coughing, I'll probably keep her home again... and hopefully she won't get the urge to run a marathon.

Lastly.... and I apologize in advance for changing the mood here...

I heard the saddest news today and it just filled my heart with grief. MSN reports that Elizabeth Edwards is not doing well. Her cancer has gotten worse and doctors have recommended against any additional treatment. She is currently at home in North Carolina surrounded by friends and family.

On her Facebook page, Edwards posted the following message:

“You all know that I have been sustained throughout my life by three saving graces — my family, my friends, and a faith in the power of resilience and hope. These graces have carried me through difficult times and they have brought more joy to the good times than I ever could have imagined.

.."The days of our lives, for all of us, are numbered. We know that. And, yes, there are certainly times when we aren't able to muster as much strength and patience as we would like. It's called being human. But I have found that in the simple act of living with hope, and in the daily effort to have a positive impact in the world, the days I do have are made all the more meaningful and precious. And for that I am grateful.

"It isn't possible to put into words the love and gratitude I feel to everyone who has and continues to support and inspire me every day. To you I simply say: you know.

"With love, Elizabeth.”

Cancer research is important. This year when you begin thinking about where you want your donation dollars to go, please do not overlook the fact that with every dollar donated you will potentially save the lives of: mothers, fathers, children, cousins, grandparents, neighbors, close friends and those that are not even born yet. Cancer research benefits us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment