Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Chocolate Chip Blondies

At first I was skeptical about this recipe. I searched several sites before finding one that looked right for me. It seemed like every recipe I found garnered far too many negative comments. Comments like, I didn't care for it, thought it was way too sweet. Then there was, Would not make this again. Bleh. This recipe was an epic fail. Ouch.  

 
One reviewer even said that the chocolate chips sank to the bottom of the pan. I'm not sure how this could have happened.

Anyways, on the flip side, I found several positive comments too like, This dessert is amazing and delicious. And also, Would make this again. I love these cookie


I followed the recipe while taking into account some of the comments made. The most common negative comment was that the bars were too sweet so I merely cut the sugar down by 1/4 of a cup.
  
 
Instead of bringing out the heavy machinery, I simply hand mixed the batter to avoid over-beating. Besides, you really don't need a mixer for this batter as there are so few ingredients -- everything easily comes together with a whisk and a little wrist action. 

 
These bars came out great. They cooked all the way through in exactly the amount of time the recipe called for. They aren't the least bit gooey in the middle -- they're perfect. These bars have a moist, cake like texture with just the right amount of sweetness.

I didn't get any complaints from my children either and they're the real taste testers.
  
Chocolate Chip Blondies
From: Christmas-Cookies.com


Ingredients
2/3 cup butter
2-1/4 cups flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 cups firmly packed light brown sugar {I used 2 cups}
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts, chopped {I omitted}

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13" baking pan and set aside. In the microwave, melt the butter. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; set aside. In a large bowl using an electric mixer {I hand mixed}, beat butter and brown sugar. Slowly beat in the eggs and vanilla, mixing until batter is smooth. On low speed, gradually mix in the flour mixture. Batter will be very stiff. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Spread the batter in the baking pan, smoothing it into the corners. Bake 25 minutes or until the blondies begin pulling away from the sides of the pan. Let cool to room temperature in the pan on a wire rack, then cut into bars.


1 comment:

  1. These were fantastic, Maya! I kept slipping out of the classroom to nibble and spoiled my lunch.

    I had one saved for today, but have discovered that it is missing. Hmm. There are only 2 people it could have been . . .

    ReplyDelete